School Information

14218/p104331555_22581.jpg

Genoa Elementary's history dates back to the 1890s. The school began in the upstairs part of an old store on Galveston Road. A new school was built in 1900, but was razed during the Great Storm of 1900. In 1914, a two-story brick building was erected in the current spot. In 1936, the present building was built. The school underwent some renovations in the 1950s and 1960s, as new wings were added to the building. Structural problems and other hazards prompted the need for a new campus, which was approved by voters by an 8-1 margin as part of a $199.05 million bond issue in February 2000.

A little over a year later, the new 64,600 square foot campus was completed next door to the old building on Allen Genoa Road, which was later demolished.